The Association of Cities and Regions for Recycling and Sustainable Resource Management (ACR+)
ACR+ is an international network of cities and regions with the shared goal of promoting the intelligent and responsible consumption of resources and sustainable management of urban waste via waste prevention, reuse and recycling.
The network is constantly growing, and it now brings together nearly 100 members, most of them entities and local and regional authorities, but also networks of local authorities that together represent around 1,100 municipalities.
The network is open to the inclusion of other stakeholders concerned with the sustainable management of resources, products or waste, including NGOs, academic institutions and private organisations.
- To contribute, both within Europe and around the world, to environmentally and economically rational waste prevention and management in order to promote sustainable development.
- To contribute to the closing of the cycle of primary and secondary raw materials (resources, products, waste) notably through the promotion of resource savings and a more equitable distribution.
- To promote a transition away from a chain economy and toward a circular economy in order to achieve greater efficiency in resource use.
- To build and maintain a network for the exchange of information on issues related to waste prevention, selective waste collection and waste recycling in urban environments.
- To harmonise disparate understandings of concepts, definitions and standards in the field of waste, resources and products.
- To promote agreements among different stakeholders.
- To help public officials develop improved skills and gain greater experience in waste-product-resource policies.
- To foster a practical approach to waste management and responsible consumption.