MedCities: Network of Mediterranean Cities for Urban Sustainable Development
- Action area:
- Sustainable urban development
MedCities is a network of 44 cities from around the Mediterranean. It was founded in 1991 as a mechanism to boost the power of power of municipalities and local public administration in the area of sustainable urban development.
Medcities supports its members in the drafting of Urban Development Strategy documents and the implementation of projects, and it acts as an advocate around the Mediterranean region for a stronger role for local authorities.
For the past 25 years, Medcities has been promoting sustainable urban development as a way to improve people's quality of life around the Mediterranean.
- To strengthen local public administrations by giving them a bigger role and greater competences and institutional, financial and technical resources so that they can develop local sustainable development policies.
- To foster partnerships and joint decentralised projects undertaken by members of the network in conjunction with other cities or organisations.
- To raise awareness of interdependence and of the shared responsibility for sustainable development policies, environmental conservation and social cohesiveness in Mediterranean cities.
- To increase citizen awareness of and participation in the processes of sustainable development in cities and towns.